Introduction to shooting at Laverstoke
The club holds regular induction days for new members that have not previously used the Laverstoke range. This is to ensure that all members are familiar with the steps required to correctly set-up the range for shooting, including safety notices, red flag and other range rules. Please read the information below.
Shooting Rules for the Laverstoke Range
1. All shooting taking place on the Laverstoke Range must be in accordance with the stated rules of ArcheryGB.
2. Apart from Club Nights (Wednesdays & Fridays) and Organised “Have-a-Go” sessions, all shooters must be recognised members of Overton Black Arrows (The Club) and must have been a member for a minimum period of 6 months.
3. Numbers Present.
Note that these points are based on AGB rule 103.
a. There should be a minimum of two people present each being a minimum of 18 years of age when any shooting is in progress, one of whom may be a non archer to act as a lookout.
b. The archer is responsible to inform the lookout of all safety aspects applicable. Where two adult archers are present and shooting together they should alternate on the shooting line so that the non-shooting archer can act as lookout.
c. Solo shooting by senior archers (i.e. archers 18 and over) is permitted, but extra care should be taken to watch for any member of the public entering the range. Any member shooting on their own is doing so at their own risk in respect of personal injuries.
4. Juniors. When junior archers (i.e. archers under 18) are shooting individually or in groups they must be supervised by an adult member of 'The Club'.
- The range only has sufficient overshoot to set a target at a maximum distance of 100 yards. No targets should be shot at beyond this distance.
- The entire overshoot should be visible whilst shooting; i.e. shooting in the dark, or during foggy conditions, is prohibited.
6. There will be no more than 6 (six) archers shooting at any one boss.
7. Before any shooting takes place, the following actions must be taken:
Both metal gates must be closed
The gate leading into the community garden (near the flag pole) must be closed and bolted
The gates to the left and right of the club house doors must both be closed and bolted
Hoist the Red Warning Flag