Introduction to shooting at Laverstoke
The club holds regular induction days for new members that have not previously used the Laverstoke range. This is to ensure that all members are familiar with the steps required to correctly set-up the range for shooting, including safety notices, red flag and other range rules. Please read the information below.
Shooting Rules for the Laverstoke Range
1. All shooting taking place on the Laverstoke Range must be in accordance with the stated rules of the GNAS.
2. Apart from Club Nights (Wednesdays & Fridays) and Organised “Have-a-Go” sessions, all shooters must be recognised members of the Overton Black Arrows and must have been a member for a minimum period of 6 months.
3. Numbers Present
That at any time when shooting is taking place GNAS rule No. 103 will apply.
a. On the grounds where the Public have a right of access, there must be a minimum of two people present each being a minimum of 18 years of age when any shooting is in progress, one of whom may be a non archer to act as a lookout.
b. The archer is responsible to inform the lookout of all safety aspects applicable. Where two adult archers are present and shooting together they will alternate on the shooting line so that the non-shooting archer can act as lookout. c. Solo shooting by senior archers (i.e. archers 18 and over) is permitted on private land which is fenced all round and where the public has no legal right of access. A warning notice must be displayed at all entrances and points of access. Any member shooting on their own is doing so at their own risk in respect of personal injuries. For the Laverstoke Club Range, rules a, and b, above will apply.
When junior archers (i.e. archers under 18) are shooting individually or in groups they must be supervised by an adult member of the Club.
5. No arrows will be permitted to be shot unless the club metal detector can readily detect them.
6. There will be no more than 6 (six) archers shooting at any one boss.
7. Before any shooting takes place, the following actions must be taken:
- Both metal gates must be closed
- The gate leading into the community garden (near the flag pole) must be closed and bolted
- Hoist the Red Warning Flag