Portsmouth badges are awards for achieving set scores; 300, 350, 400, 450, 500, 550, 575
A Portsmouth round should be shot under competition conditions - during one of our BA postal shoots is ideal!
The 252 badges are awards for achieving a score of 252 at different distances in the outdoor season.
252 seems a strange number, but the original idea was for a recurve archer to get all arrows within the red or gold zone of the target – with 5 zone (imperial) scoring. If every one of your 36 arrows goes in the red zone, you will score 252. If you get them in the gold – all the better!
For other bow types, it is easier (compound) or harder (longbow, barebow) to achieve this score. Hence these bow types need to achieve different scores, but will still get a 252 badge!.
The round is shot at 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 80 and 100 yards on a 122cm face using 5-zone scoring (9, 7, 5, 3, 1)
The badges are personal achievement awards. To enter for a badge costs £2, which allows you to attempt a distance as many times as you like, according to the rules below and receive a badge once you have scored 252. Proceeds from the badge scheme will go towards funding badges, club prizes and club socials.
Scores required to achieve a badge at different distances are as follows:
|Award ||Recurve |
|20 ||Green ||252 ||292 ||164 ||189 |
|30 ||White ||252 ||292 ||164 ||189 |
|40 ||Black ||252 ||292 ||164 ||189 |
|50 ||Blue ||252 ||292 ||164 ||189 |
|60 ||Red ||252 ||292 ||164 ||189 |
|80 ||gold ||252 ||292 ||126 ||164 |
|100 ||Purple ||252 ||292 ||101 ||139 |
- GNAS Rules of Shooting to apply.
- The Portsmouth round or the attempt for the 252 score must be the first shoot of the day
- Six sighter arrows are permitted which will not count towards the final score
- Badges may be obtained in any order
- Additional 252 rules:
- Three dozen arrows may be shot alone or as part of a longer imperial round (first distance only), using a 122cm face
- GNAS five zone scoring should be used, on a paper score sheet, witnessed by another archer, and handed in to a committee member or the Laverstoke post box (to the right of the door when leaving the inner section of the clubhouse)
Rob Aldridge 258 @ 60 yards
Steve Allam 276 @ 60 yards
Rob Aldridge 300 @ 50 yards
Maurice Berridge xxx @ 30 yards (LONGBOW)
Alex @ 40yds
Terry Edwards @ 60 yds
Mike Bone @ 60 yds
Richard Buckner @ 100 yds